Caviar and Blinis
['1 cup buckwheat pancake mix (we like the unsweetened organic one from Whole Foods, but you can use any unsweetened kind and follow the package instructions for all pancake ingredients, using an egg if called for)', '1/2 teaspoon kosher salt', '1 egg', '1 tablespoon melted butter or vegetable oil', '2/3 cup milk (any fat content) or water', 'Black caviar (our favorite is paddlefish)', 'Crème fraîche', 'Chives, snipped', 'Smoked salmon (optional)', 'Minced red onion (optional)']
1. Combine the pancake mix with the salt, egg, butter or oil, and milk or water.
2. Lightly brush another tablespoon of melted butter onto a skillet over medium-high heat.
3. When the skillet is hot, spoon the batter into it a tablespoon at a time.
4. Cook the blinis until tiny bubbles appear, about 1 minute, then flip them and fry until golden brown on each side.
5. Transfer the blinis to a platter and serve warm with the caviar, crème fraîche, chives, and smoked salmon and onion (if desired).
Attribution for Recipes (CC BY-SA 3.0):
[Food Ingredients and Recipes Dataset with Images]
License: CC BY-SA 3.0