Christmas Honey Fritters (Struffoli)
['3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour', '5 large eggs', '1 large egg yolk', 'Grated zest of 2 lemons', 'Juice of 1 lemon', 'Grated zest of 1 orange', '1/2 teaspoon salt', '1 tablespoon limoncello or grand Marnier', '4 cups extra-virgin olive oil, for deep-frying', '2 cups honey', '"Confectioners sugar', 'for dusting"']
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, eggs, yolk, half the lemon zest, the orange zest, salt, and limoncello. Stir with a wooden spoon to mix well, then knead into a firm dough, 8 to 10 minutes. Cover and allow to rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. Cut the dough into golf ball-sized pieces. One at a time, roll each one into a 1/2-inch-thick rope, and cut into 1/2-inch-long pieces, and roll each piece into a ball. Place in a floured tray.
3. In a large deep pot, heat the oil to 375°F. Working in batches to avoid crowding the pan, fry the balls until dark golden brown, using a slotted spoon to turn them often; they will puff up while cooking. As they finish, transfer them to a tray lined with paper towels, to drain.
4. When all of the struffoli are cooked, combine the honey, lemon juice, and the remaining lemon zest in a wide 6-to 8-quart pot until quite warm (about 150°F) and substantially thinner. Add the struffoli and stir carefully until well coated. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pot, stirring frequently.
5. Pour out the stroffoli onto a large serving tray in the form of a pyramid or a ring. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve.
Attribution for Recipes (CC BY-SA 3.0):
The recipes displayed in this app have been crated using content available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0) license. The recipes are based on the following dataset:
[Food Ingredients and Recipes Dataset with Images]
License: CC BY-SA 3.0
We would like to express our gratitude to the content creators who contributed to the dataset and shared their work under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license, allowing us to showcase and share these recipes with you.